How to set up Outlook Express 6 (OE versions earlier than 6 may differ slightly) to collect e-mail from the server
NB: In all examples below, please remember to replace yourdomain.com with your domain, including the .co.uk or .com
1. Open Outlook Express and select Tools - Accounts - Add - Mail
2. The Internet Account wizard will open and ask for Display name: (this is the name that will appear in the From field on e-mails you send) enter the name as you wish it to appear (eg XYZ Company Ltd), then click Next.
3. This screen is where you specify the e-mail address that will appear on outgoing e-mails from this account - insert your e-mail address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
4. When you have entered this information, click Next.
5. Now you need to specify Server Names:
a. Your mail server is a POP3 (this is the default setting)
b. Incoming Mail: pop3.yourdomain.com
c. Outgoing Mail: smtp.yourdomain.com
6. Click Next to proceed to Internet Mail Logon screen:
a. Account name: your e-mail address (email@example.com)
b. Password: password you specified in control panel (see related article How do I reset my e-mail password?)
NB: If at any time you change your password in webmail, then whatever you have specified as your password in webmail must be entered here.
8. Click Finish. (Only you haven't yet!...)
9. You will see your new account in the Internet Accounts box, it will be called mail.yourdomain.com - if you wish to change this, then (with the new account still highlighted) click on Properties and enter the name you wish to use to identify this new account in the first box on the General (Mail account) tab. Also make sure that there is a tick in the box next to "Include this account when receiving mail or synchronizing" (at the bottom of the page).
Now select the Server tab, and near the bottom of that page you will see 'Outgoing Mail Server'; under that heading place a tick in the box 'My server requires authentication'; then click on 'settings' and make sure that 'use same settings as my incoming mail server' is selected.
10. If you wish to use your webmail account (to access mail from a web browser instead of Outlook Express when working away from the main office etc), you must do the following: on the Advanced tab (Internet Accounts > Properties> Advanced), at the bottom under the heading Delivery, click on the box (so that a tick appears) next to "Leave a copy of messages on server", then tick the next box "Remove from server after
. days" and enter the number of days to leave the messages before they are automatically deleted - suggest 3 days.
12. If you wish to set your new account to be your default account (so that it is the first option displayed when composing/sending e-mails) then highlight the account (in the Internet Accounts box) and click Set as default on the right.